Sigma EF-610 DG Super flash + DP Merrill questions?

Started Aug 3, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xpanded
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
Sigma EF-610 DG Super flash + DP Merrill questions?
Aug 3, 2014

I am going to a wedding that will have a “proper” photographer present so any photography I will do is mainly for my own sake (although of course hoping it will give something different to the newly-weds). Thus I was thinking about shooting with a DP3M assuming the pro will come with something different. Safest assumption of my life I reckon

Photography is allowed in the church and to the party - the latter with flash.

In order to get sufficient light levels to be able to hand hold the DP3M (always a dangerous venture for me) I have been looking into the EF-610 DG Super flash. I have read the user manual and was duly reminded of how old I am recognizing the reference to the SA-300! There was no reference to the Merrills though.

I have a few questions regarding this flash on a Merrill and would be very grateful if someone could help me out:

1) How does the Merrills and the EF-610 DG Super flash balance? Is it very top heavy or can it be done? I know it is the “smelly diaper” approach to photography, but I can live with that or plug a Hoodman Hoodloupe on.

2) Does the Merrill and EF-610 DG Super deliver “true” TTL - I mean, you mount the flash, we do the rest? I am used to Nikon flashes and have not given a thought to flash photography in 10 years or so other than bringing spare batteries...

3) It is a bit embarrassing, but how should I dial in/choose the focal length on the flash with the DP3M? Is it 50mm or 70mm (nearest to 75mm)?

All input on the Merrills/Sigma flash combos much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Xpanded

Edit: typo.

ANSWER:
Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow