ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bandapear
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Sand...photographers worse enemy
4 months ago

Hello all,

I recently photographed in a very sandy environment and now my tripod joints and screw threads are full of sand. I want to do a deep cleaning, but never done it before and had a few questions about the process of cleaning a tripod. I'm currently using the Mefoto Globetrotter Carbon Fiber tripod and as I started unscrewing each leg segment from the leg locks I found out that its going to be much harder than I expected. I plan to use a microfiber towel, toothbrush, and lens/canned air blower.

1) I attached a photo of a leg twisty lock and have no idea how to get rid of the sand since its all inside the thread. Should I soak it in water and hope the debris will wash off (will water and a toothbrush take our grease?)?

In the photo below, there is that "inner C shaped tube" which I cannot take out with is extremely unfortunate; would make cleaning it much easier.

2) Also I noticed that the leg thread and the leg twist lock thread has a light coating of grease and some people told me to use white lithium grease, if so any specific brands? I also called Mefoto and they told me to use Dow Corning Molykote 44 Med Grease since it can tolerate a wide range of temperatures (-40C to 204C). But it costs a good $20 for a tube...Should I just get this brand? Does a grease with a wide range of temperatures really matter?

http://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Molykote-Medium-Lubricant/dp/B001VY1EL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407044193&sr=8-1&keywords=Dow+Corning+molykote+44

3) Also when applying new grease should I apply it on both the leg's thread as well as INSIDE the detachable twisty leg lock thread? When I called Mefoto they told me to use a VERY small amount, break a Q tip in half and apply a small amount of grease on the non-cotton end.

Thank you, it would be much appreciated if you all could help me. The sand in my tripod is a huge nuisance and want to clean it, but don't know how too.

Twisty leg lock (C Shaped inner tube)

Twisty leg lock (C Shaped inner tube)

Leg's Thread

bandapear's gear list:bandapear's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow