Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637Gear list
Like?
XT-1 vs D810
2 months ago

I just traded my D800e for the D810. So it is time to shoot it side by side with my XT-1.

Popped them both on the tripod, D810 with the 50mm f1.8G and the XT-1 with the 35mm f1.4.

Shot them both at base ISO (I am most interested in seeing the best they are capable of)

My conclusions:

The XT-1 RAW file is very very good. Almost the equal to the D810 at half the resolution and 1.6 stops higher base ISO. The detail in the shadows (and ability to lift them with extensive noise) was only slightly worse than the D810. A surprise to me.

The XT-1 JPG was poor in the shadow areas. With all the talk of the great JPGs from fuji cameras, they just destroy shadow detail and color. In good light, the colors are fantastic.

Even in the bright areas, the fine detail of the Fuji jpg is "smeary". I can say this because with processing of the RAW file in Irridient, the detail is MUCH MUCH better. My guess is that the distribution of RGB in the X-trans array is the cause of this "softness" in fine (a few pixel-sized) detail.

I enjoyed Chris's recent post (beautiful women and photos) about women liking the Fuji X and the softness in the skin and out-of-focus areas would certainly be appealing to portrait photography.

I have deep hesitation in using the X cameras as landscape cameras. JPGs are useless for fine detail. Lightroom conversion of RAW files (my preferred tool) is useless. Even with the extra step of using Irridient to convert the RAW to get the finest detail possible (that I have seen) they then seem to lack the soft tonal transitions of the D810 beast.

The 35mm f1.4 is one of the finest lenses I have ever used. It was the first Fuji X lens I bought with the X-Pro1 and it remains my favorite focal length.

Food for thought only. Not trying to convince anyone of anything.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800E Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow