ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
McKee500
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Nex goes to Africa (Safari)
3 months ago

Hello DPreview forum,

Last fall my girlfriend and I went on safari to Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. I had been shooting with a Nex 5n for a little while and really enjoying it, so I took the 5n and at the very last minute (here's to 24hr shipping) I was talked into renting a second camera and a longer zoom. Which turned out to be great.

So I ended up taking the Nex 5n, a Nex 6, lA-EA3 adapter, 70-400 G zoom 4-5.6, 55-210 and some smaller e-mount lenses.

I had never done wildlife photography before, and had never really handled a big zoom like that. With the Nex not being the best with autofocus I was prepared for some disappointment, but I'm a fan of making what you have work and I'm keen on the smaller size, so I thought I'd try it.

I'm very satisfied with my results and would love to try again now that I feel like I'm getting the hang of the wildlife photography a little more.

So to those that have wondered, yes, you can go on Safari with your Nex. I'd say a longer zoom is key though, almost all my best photos from the trip are at 400mm. Are there better cameras for the job? Yes. Do I own them...no. It was the first time I'd picked up a Nex 6, which was a pleasure to use. Both cameras were capable and versatile.

I know others have shared their Nex safari pics, I hope you like these as well...

More pics of the trip here: http://andrewmckee.smugmug.com/Travel/Namibia-Botswana-Zimbabwe/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow