Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brent Allen Thale
Regular MemberPosts: 486Gear list
Like?
Shooting tethered with Surface Pro 3
4 months ago

I find it very difficult to really judge a picture by looking at the LCD on the back of my camera, I need a larger screen to know if I really got the shot. I've tried carrying my iPad Air on a shoulder strap and using an Eye-Fi card to send the Jpegs to the iPad in real-time, but it's just too slow and isn't reliable in congested radio environments, like a convention with 50,000+ people all using their smartphones.

So, I'm wondering if I got a USB 3 camera, like the Nikon D810, and the Surface Pro 3 tablet, which has a wired USB 3 connection, if it would be possible to do what I want, which is instantly be able to review pictures taken on the 12-inch Surface Pro 3 as I take them. I would wear the Surface Pro 3 on a shoulder strap just like I do now with the iPad Air, and I would tolerate the presence of a USB 3 cable between the camera and the Surface Pro 3.

I'm told that on Nikon cameras, though, when tethering this way you cannot see the images you take on the camera's LCD, is that still true even with the D810? And the camera doesn't even store the images at all on the in-camera memory cards? If this is true, that is a major drawback, and would only be tolerable if the USB 3 transfer of the image to the Surface Pro 3 was so fast that I could use the Surface Pro 3 for instant image review. Anyone know how fast in Lightroom an image actually shows up after taking it on the D810 to a USB 3 computer?

Brent Allen Thale's gear list:Brent Allen Thale's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow