Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mikew
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Question re D4 multi point AF
4 months ago

I have had a D4 for almost 2 years and have not used it that much, preferring the greater MP of the D800 and D7100. I just returned from a trip to Newfoundland where we visited several giant bird nesting sites to shoot BIFs. I was using the new 80-400 almost exclusively. After having used mostly the D7100/ 80-400 combination for several days shooting thousands of shots, I switched to the D4. I had been using the D7100 and 9 point or 21 point AF-C getting very good results. On switching to the D4, however, I couldn't get the camera to pick up and lock on to a bird while in 9 point or 21 point mode. When I switched to single point AF-C, it worked perfectly - fast lock on and good tracking. The birds were puffins, flying with the sky as the background. The D4 simply would not even slowly lock on to the bird I had centered in the viewfinder. The D7100 had done this with ease for days under identical conditions.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why the D4 was failing where the D7100 was successful?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

Mike

mikew's gear list:mikew's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow