Of bees and bugs... how would you have done them?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LearningForeverIHope
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
Of bees and bugs... how would you have done them?
4 months ago

I've had the FZ200 (and Canon T4i/650D) for nearly a year now with the intention of using them, I swear but... (insert excuses, mostly work-work-work). All but the desire died and so I finally went out bringing my camera, the FZ200, to our community garden where the war has been declared on our eight-ball zucchinis.

It was early and foggy. At that time of the day the zucchini flowers are in bloom and host a number of enamoured bees and other bugs. So, 'twas a good time for some macros right? Well learning how to to make them at least. Here's the best result on bees and bugs that I got this morning:

Looks like a guard but really is more like looking for an escape. Those flowers are big and but not so much that I could get inside enough with the big FZ200 lens to get a real close up. This guy looked like it was really wondering what was that invader with only one huge eye blocking the exit.

I liked how this one is buzzing with activity.

These bugs eat the leaves or our zucchinis. I discovered also that they take relish in pumping the nectar of the flowers too. Shot them with soapy water and watched 'em die. Seriously there's no modus vivendi to be found with them bugs.

Morning light was minimal and plugging the flower cup with the lens made it even less. I upped the ISO to 250 mostly, not daring more as I knew that I'd have to crop the shot and so that any noise would become that much more obvious. Stability was so-so with hand held camera.

I am reading everything that I find but there's always real life missing in those books and on those sites. This is why I am asking you to tell me how you yourself go about shooting macros, what are the practical pitfalls to avoid and how, how do you feel that you'll get what you are after... I'd like for you to retell what is your experience. I just don't relate to books I guess.

Thank you for your time.

JM

LearningForeverIHope's gear list:LearningForeverIHope's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow