What might be the cause of "Err" on my D700?

Started Aug 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
en792
en792 Contributing Member • Posts: 500
What might be the cause of "Err" on my D700?

Recently the sensor was cleaned, due to circumstances I prefer not to explain by someone whose name is well known to most here. I don't want to name the person, because the cause of his cleaning my sensor isn't his fault and I don't want to cast aspersions.

After receiving the D700, I let it sit for a few weeks. I knew it had been tested and the sensor was clean. It was shipped back wrapped in bubble wrap and seemed secure (no visible damage on the box).

I took it out with the MB-D10 grip to shoot a MLB game at 8fps. First image I took the shutter actuated and the playback screen showed pure black. On the top LCD and in the viewfinder I got the dreaded "Err" message. I know that often it is a problem with the lens and camera contacts, but such is not the case here. Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I applied:

• Removed the MB-D10 grip
  • Removed the D700 battery
  • Did a full camera reset (green buttons)
  • Tried another CF card
  • Tried other lenses with the same result
  • Actuated the shutter without a lens on and the body cap on in release priority
  • Opened the NEF files directly on my computer - pure black

So, I'm baffled. Can anyone speculate as to what could be causing the "Err" message?

en792's gear list:en792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow