Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stljrs
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Zoom lens wide open softness
4 months ago

I have the 18-140 Nikon zoom that came with the d5300. Beach pics I took look soft at 100%. Granted I probably should have been closer, but I wanted plenty of cropping option and for printing it should be fine. I was around 50 mm at F5 which is close to wide open at that zoom. With a zoom, does the softness often seen at wide open with lenses, apply to the largest aperture at a particular focal length rather than the max aperture of the lens itself? The lens max is 3.5 but at 50 i think it is 4.8. Shutter speeds plenty fast, 1/200 or faster.

A prime 50 would already be stopped down at F5 and probably would have resulted in sharper pics?

I also noticed a "haze" sometimes. Like there sometimes wasn't enough contrast. Would a UV filter help that? Or do I just have to punch it up in post processing? Already thinking to next year.

Thanks!

Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow