Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RobSir
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Unintended vignetting with Fuji X-T1 and 18-55 lens-no hood, no filter
2 months ago

I am a relatively new user of the Fujifilm X-T1. I received the camera and kit lens (18-55mm) in May, 2014.

In Raw shots taken with various settings and focal lengths, without hood or filter, I noticed vignetting (corners are dark) when viewing the shots in Aperture on a Mac. I then viewed the shots directly from the SD card to Mac, without import in Aperture, and noticed the same result. There was no consistency to which shots or settings had the noticeable vignetting effect--essentially the corners of the affected shots were dark.

I then did test shots on white carpet and got exactly the same thing.

The camera and lens and my images are now at the Fuji Repair Center in Edison NJ, and they have been running tests on it for a week. I have been told that they can see the issue when the raw images are viewed directly from the card to a Mac, but they can not see the issue when they are looking at the shots with Windows equipment--which sounds confounding to say the least. And I am told that they cannot reproduce the issue when they are taking shots with my equipment (although it is not clear to me how they are looking at the shots, since 99% of what is done there is on Windows equipment).

No one that I know has seen this issue before, and all of them use Mac equipment.

The technician working on this problem is experienced, accommodating and knowledgeable. But he basically told me that unless they (Fuji) can reproduce or understand the problem. the camera and lens may end up coming back to me with no adjustments.

Help! I have several questions.

1. Has anyone ever seen this issue? 2. Does anyone understand what might be going on?? 3. I attribute the problem to my copy of the camera and lens and, if they cannot find the problem, I still want different equipment. Does this seem reasonable?

I am convinced that if the camera and lens are returned to me un-fixed or the issue not adequately explained, exactly the same thing will be happening again. I have utterly no reason not to believe this. The fact that the technicians cannot identify the problem is not proof that it does not exist, and the pictures speak for themselves.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow