Do I need wide lens for A6000? Already have 16-70.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Do I need wide lens for A6000? Already have 16-70.
4 months ago

I mean when I shoot 16mm for me it looks wide, sometimes too wide, like you have to even crop to get good composition. What are the usage of wider lenses? I was never into fisheye lenses. They are too specific type of lenses. Let's just say I would never use 8mm. However, let's say 12mm - is widest I can consider (without perspective distortion starting to look like a fisheye). Where I will benefit from 12mm vs my 16mm? Even architecture I can shoot with 16mm and only in really tight spaces - let's say somewhere in Europe on street in front of huge cathedral - then I can see that 12mm will be useful, or inside the cathedral itself if I want to do a panorama like shot. Even those I can hardly imagine that we do often, unless you are fan of that kind of staff. But then again for those times I can use panorama mode with 16mm and cover much more area. Heck, even 2 shots with 16mm that i can stitch together will give me wider area (and better resolution) than one shot with 12mm. So what's the deal with wide angle lenses?

Or let's take a group shot with 20 people - I can easily do that with 16mm, so why 12mm then? Ok, maybe for a group shot of 100 people, but who does that often? So I'm kinda leaning to conclusion that for casual shooter like me (family, trips, events, portraits, sometimes sport, street - basically same as what 90% of folks do here) - there's no need to buy anything wider than 16-70mm, I would even go further and say that tele (in my case anything from 70mm and up) is more widely used by most users compared to wider angles. Am I wrong?

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow