Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mellowmark
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Fireworks with micro four thirds.
4 months ago

Have been struggling a bit with fireworks photos with micro four thirds - with my dslr it's much easier.

I need around 2-4 seconds at F8, ISO 100 with my dlsr (Sony A57). (Usually around 3 seconds, to capture the full burst/s and expose the foreground buildings correctly).  So ISO 100, F8, 3 seconds.

On my G3 there is no ISO 100, so for the same exposure I would need to use ISO 200 (I think ISO 160 is a'false'/extended base ISO and has less dynamic range, but anyway it's not that far off ISO 200 in exposure terms). But that means F16 for the same exposure which is well into the diffraction range. ISO 200, F16, 3 seconds. I also have less dynamic range so the highlights blow really easily (if the exposure is 1 second too long for example) and cannot be recovered (fireworks are very bright compared to everything else, so it's tricky). As an aside, I also get way more shadow noise even at ISO 200 than I do with my A57, but I can deal with that in post to some extent.

Only thing I can think of is use a 3 stop ND filter? ISO 200, f5.6 and a 3 stop ND should put me in the range? Otherwise I have nowhere else to go (cannot lower ISO or increase f stop or decrease exposure time/shutter speed). Anyone managed good fireworks photos with m43 or have any tips?

[Why not just use my dslr? Long, boring explanation ,but, well I need a heavier tripod (70-300 lens vs the 45-150 on my G3) and no way I am lugging my Manfrotto on my back around town all day unless I can find somewhere safe to leave it and pick it up at around 9pm (unlikely) so I use my little Sirui tripod which is already a hassle but light enough to put up with. Or I can even use a Pedco clamp or Ultrapod). No time to go home and pick up the Manfrotto and come back as I miss the best of the evening light - if/when it's a rare good night (clear, no wind) for the fireworks (they are on every night for 3 weeks except Sundays, it's also usually a good night for evening light.]

Mellowmark's gear list:Mellowmark's gear list
Sony RX100
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow