Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,341Gear list
Like?
Weather sealing question...
3 months ago

I have a Df and a variety of lenses and I'm wondering just how weather-sealed the combination of the Df and a lens like the 24-120 would be.

For background, I've owned the Olympus EM1 and the Olympus 12-40 f2.8, which are advertised as extremely weather sealed, pretty nearly weather proof for anything short of submersion. The marketing material showed the camera in a shower with someone and I think even showed one in a block of ice, but that would imply submersion at some point and I'm pretty sure it wasn't guaranteed against that kind of abuse.

I never tried anything quite like those torture tests, but I took that combination out in full downpours with no protection beyond the lens hood (which did keep the front element dry enough to shoot most of the time with minimal wiping) and shot for a couple of hours or more. It held up better than I did. The camera and lens were soaked but never showed any issues from it. I'd get it home, wipe it all down, leave it out to dry (not removing the lens until dry), and it was good to go the next time I picked it up to shoot.

I know the Df is marketed as weather sealed and I know the 14-120 at least has a rubber gasket at the mount area. But I'm wondering what kind of actual experience people here have had with this gear? I was hoping to shoot a local bike race this afternoon and evening but the forcast is calling for rain, heavy at times, and I'm just not sure how much confidence I should have taking this combination out in the elements...

Any thoughts. Or, better yet, any experience in wet weather with this combination???

Thanks in advance,

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow