Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dan Wells
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?
Wide angle for A7r - Sony 10-18 or Rokinon (etc.) 14
4 months ago

I have read quite a few reviews that suggest that the Sony 10-18 mm actually covers full-frame, at least for most of its range (including 11mm???)! That would make it an entirely unique beast - no other full-frame 11 (other than fisheyes) exists at any price or weight. Even if it is only acceptable from 12mm on, full-frame 12s are vanishingly rare (Sigma makes the only other one I am aware of, and before that, there was a Voigtlander Ultra-wide Heliar that was pretty much film only due to color casts, and I vaguely remember a Nikkor that required mirror lockup).

How decent is this lens on an A7r (using it full-frame)? I have no crop bodies, so I'm interested in the lens only as a relatively exotic wide on FF. The other option is the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm.

I'm going to be in New York next week, so I can buy either lens by walking in to B&H, which should eliminate some worries about getting a good copy (is this an issue with the Sony - anyone had a bad one)? I know the Samyangs and Rokinons are notoriously variable - a good one can be very good, but a bad one can be terrible. I can buy a lens on Monday and exchange it on Wednesday if I get a bad copy (I don't really have an opportunity to exchange more than once - I have a few hours Wednesday afternoon, so I suppose it's possible). I know that some of the Samyang/Rokinons are badly decentered - what's a good quick test for that? Do the Sonys have a specific issue to look for that varies from one example to another?

-Dan

Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow