Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brownie314
Contributing MemberPosts: 947
Like?
Thoughts on crop vs FF
3 months ago

I know this has been done to death. But just thought I would give my personal experience with this issue.

I had the chance to use a Canon 6D + 50mm f/1.4 last night (actually had it for 2 full days for work purposes). I thought I would compare that with my normal setup which is Nikon D7000 + 35mm 1.8. These two setups have a roughly equivalent FOV.

My thoughts:

IQ - as far as sharpness, noise etc - really could not see a significant difference. I am sure had I pushed ISO really high (or done extreme crops), I would have seen an advantage with 6D. But the way I shoot, I normally keep it under 3200 as much as possible.

DOF - yes the 6D had a MUCH more shallow DOF. My 35mm Nikon on my D7000 looks approximately like the 50mm on the 6D as far as angle of view goes. But the 6D, even at f/2.8 seemed to have a much more shallow DOF than the 35mm at f/1.8 (one of you will probably end up calculating this and either confirm or disprove my intuition).

Keeper rate - hands down D7000 much higher keeper rate. I am sure, had I closed the 50mm down to f/4 (I shot in manual mode at f/2.8 most of the time) it would have improved the keeper rate for the 6D. But - I didn't. AND - I am very used to and understand the Nikon AF system on my D7000 - I am sure that is also a contributing factor. But, the AF system on the 6D did not seem that great. I was also shooting fast moving kids - a tough challenge for any AF system.

If I had the chance would I trade my D7000 for the 6D - tough call - probably - maybe. Some of the "street shots" I got with the 6D had the magical look due to just the right DOF - which I don't think my D7000 could have reproduced. I think the AF system on my D7000 is much more sophisticated (seems that way anyway). It tracks much better. OTOH - I don't think I spent enough time with the 6D to fully work out the AF system. The size of the two bodies seemed to me to be about the same. I could not tell a significant difference in carrying both around. I prefer the control layout of the D7000 - but I am used to it. The 6D control layout was also not that bad (I actually prefer the way Canon activates auto ISO - by having it just be one wheel click below ISO 100).

Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow