Have now e-500 and e-510 - which one to use for what?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Guillermo Ramhorst
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Have now e-500 and e-510 - which one to use for what?
4 months ago

Hi forum! I am reconnecting myself to photography and having an e-500 with the two kit lenses (14-45 and 45-150), did some research, and decided that the most cost effective alternative was to augment my 4/3 equipment, so I got from keh a nice e-510 and an 14-54mm glass.

I am enjoying like a boy with a new toy my new system but still going through the capabilities. I really love these bodies and glass and with the current prices and me more into taking good photos than showing off the latest gear, it was a no-brainer.

I would like to ask the community about using the e-500 and the e-510. Yes I know (and knew before buying) that the e-510 is somewhat short of dynamic range, so I have a few questions in mind, that perhaps you could help me answer:

- My daugthers do backhorse riding, so I was thinking on attaching the e-500 to the 45-150 and use to for telephoto range to take those type of shots and then use the e-510 with the 14-54 for general photography. Does this make sense, or I might be better off using the e-510 and perhaps underexpose 0.7EV for example?

- Any tips for using either camera, and in particular the e-510 for general photography? I like street, family, travel (I know, bulky for today standards, but I can live with that and get amazing results so far).

- In general, when it would be advisable to use which one?

- Flash recommendations?

- Any other glass worth considering? I know the 12-60 is one of the best ever zooms out there, but I heard it is too heavy for e-5XX.

And yes, whenever I get the money, I might get an E-30...

Happy shooting!! Here's one of my firsts tests with the E-510 and the 14-54mm during the Seattle's SeaFair.

Olympus E-500 / EVOLT E-500 Olympus E-510 / EVOLT E-510
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow