Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Wilkins
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Tamron 150-600mm Supertelephoto Lens v Nikon Prime 600mm F4
3 months ago

I'm SO excited! Having been lucky enough to hire a Nikon 600mm prime; for a shoot at The Hawk Conservancy in Hampshire with Nikon guru Simon Stafford, I was thrilled to have the opportunity. However, with the weight being almost a stone (yes really) and the necessity to use a solid tripod with a gimbal head, the Nikon masterpiece is far from easy to use. Certainly it's not nimble. Birds in flight became almost impossible really. A wonderful piece of kit though. £7,000 worth too. You put the camera on to the lens and not the other way around. We said it looked like a rocket launcher, all snug in a fitted wooden case.

Hooked on powerful lenses, I've just ordered the Tamron which should arrive here tomorrow. OK, it isn't a Nikon especially at 1/7th of the price however it can be used handheld and weighs "only" 4 or so pounds. From dpreview I can see it is an extremely high quality lens with the practical aspects with which the Nikon cannot compete. No wonder they are in short supply Worldwide.

That's why I'm so excited - it arrives tomorrow! I'll let you know my impressions soon.

Best Regards,

-- hide signature --

Andrew Wilkins

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow