Good Bye Tamron 150-600

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
denisg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Bye Tamron 150-600
In reply to wihakowi, 1 month ago

wihakowi wrote:

I don't wish to start a battle but ... something(s) about this entire thread strike me as "odd" and just don't add up:

* With any kind of pricey item, I've never made a repair request and been told flat-out, to return the item for refund. Inexpensive goods, yes - expensive items, no. Once, I had a bad 7D body and after a lot of haranguing and near-threats, the seller agreed to take it back for a refund - they (and Canon) insisted over and over that it could only be returned for repair.

* "But Tamron will not admit there is any new firmware ..." ~~ Isn't it public knowledge that Tamron has been doing firmware updates on early-release Canon mounts? Don't see how they can now be denying the existence of it.

* "I got it back in April!" ~~ Funny for a vendor to offer a refund after such a long time, especially given all the complaining about non-USA vendors and how they don't offer liberal return policies like USA based sellers do. I sure can't see any of the big sellers in the USA - B&H, Adorama, Amazon - much less the fly-by night guys, giving a refund on a 4 month old item! Period.

* "Well I will have the refund from the Tamron and my old 100-400 , so if there is a MkII I should be close to its cost" ~~ Nice thought if the new 100-400 comes in at $2300 or so but ... as I now see 100-400's selling for as low as $930, the deal would only work if the new 100-400 came in under $2k and, given recent Canon lens releases, I don't see that happening.

I'd try again to have it repaired/flashed and go from there.

Steve

I agree Steve but Phil is not a troll sort of person and I think it may just be a misunderstanding if he is dealing with Intro2020, the UK agents for Tamron. Intro2020 (read "Tamron" for UK) will not offer a refund as it is not their duty to do so. Financially the contract is with the retailer that sold the lens. However, the terminology he has used is Intro2020. In order to obtain a refund Phil must have returned it to the dealer in which case they may have deemed it better to do the refund rather than trying to arrange repair via Tamron.

While I accept that the return timescale means many will return to dealer for refund, the most likely way to resolve a problem is to talk to the manufacturers or their agents directly. 100% success rate for me personally but I also note that it doesn't work for everyone.

Denis.

-- hide signature --

DenisG.
http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/
Some photo's in my DPR gallery
"First get a pic, if it's still there, compose one!"

denisg's gear list:denisg's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 7D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow