Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,734
Like?
J1 I'm shooting in raw + jpeg and here's what I've discovered
4 months ago

I've discovered that the jpegs are pretty darn good.  For awhile I was just shooting in jpeg but have been experimenting lately with the J1's raws.

First let me way that I run ALL worthy images through LR5 with a specific "preset on import".  I'm a post processing guy and never expect images SOOC to be up to their full potential.

At first I was just comparing raws brought into LR5, processed then exported as jpegs...comparing them to jpegs SOOC and I could see how the processed raws were "better", especially in the cloud detail.

I just ran a folder of images I shot in a cool neighborhood last week, both the jpegs and the raws, so both were processed in LR5 (a jpeg SOOC preset vs a raw preset).

What I discovered is that, given that both were processed in LR5, I almost liked the jpegs better.  The raws always always always had better cloud detail and the distortion was corrected much better than the in-camera jpeg distortion control (which I don't really think there is any) but, for a quick batch processing the jpegs were more pleasing to my eye.

I guess I'll just process the jpegs from now on and only go into LR5 with specific raws to work on as needed.

It's like with my long gone D40:  I could never get the raws to look as good as the D40 jpeg engine could.

Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow