Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,189Gear list
Like?
A6000 & 10-18 - Wilderness Resorts to Epcot Park
4 months ago

Just some more vacation photos to share - this time my first extended chance to shoot with the 10-18mm F4 lens on the A6000 - it's always a favorite travel and vacation lens, so it was nice to get in the complete opposite types of shots than I normally do with this camera - rather than stretching out to 535mm equivalent, I was all the way at the other end, at 15mm equivalent.

These shots stretch from the Fort Wilderness log cabin where I was staying for this trip, to the Wilderness Lodge hotel which was our transfer point out to the parks, and to Epcot, probably overall my favorite Disney park...

Here's my cabin for this trip.  It's so nice to stay in a cabin in the woods, using a golf cart to get around the campground, and boats out to parks and hotels, yet still be in 'Disney'...all the busses and boats get you around the Disney property, but when you come back from the park, it's like stepping out to another world

We can take busses from the campground to any of the parks, but it's so much more peaceful to go down to the boat docks instead and hop a boat across the lake to the Wilderness Lodge Resort - then take a bus to the parks - this is the grand lobby fireplace in the resort, taken at F4 and ISO3200

You need ultrawide to really capture the scale and grandness of the huge open 8-story lobby of the hotel.  Typical of the western log style construction, it's also fairly dark even with the sun shining outside, so F4 ISO3200 needed to catch all the details

And onwards to Epcot!  This is one of the more 'scenic' restaurants you'll find in the parks - sitting in a mexican village on the edge of a river, overlooking a Mayan pyramid and steaming volcano on a sultry night - all done up inside the Mexican Pavilion's pyramid exterior - this is an MFNR shot at F4, ISO6400

The Germany pavilion, all done up in Bavarian glory, with the ever-present crowds!

One nice advantage of ultrawides for places like Disney - I could stand so close to this pagoda in Japan that I was able to shoot without crowds passing through the shot...though other people wondered just what I could be shooting standing less than 10 feet away from a 50 foot tower, not realizing the power of 10mm!  This is in-camera HDR

Another in-camera HDR set to 4, this is the other side of the Japan pavilion - inside that building is a very good Japanese steakhouse

The last day of the trip, I hit the Magic Kingdom - and the thunderstorms caught up...it had been drizzling a bit already this day, and the skies were getting very grey and dark.  Another way in-camera HDR comes in handy - helping boost the shadow color and contrast when skies are dead grey and blown out! - HDR4 here.

The contrast here was so bad that any single frame would have a badly blown sky, or a complete silhouette building.  I could shoot RAW, process the heck out of it, or just use in-camera HDR and no processing.  I favor the latter, because I don't have to do any work on the computer later!  This is the Christmas Shoppe in Magic Kingdom

Standing under Cinderella's castle - again taking advantage of being able to stand MUCH closer than the rest of the crowd and still fit the whole castle in - using HDR3 here again because of the approaching storm - now visible creeping in from the right.  20 minutes after this, it was raining full-Noah's Ark style.

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always.

Weather wasn't always cooperative up there, as one can expect from Florida in July - but I was surprisingly lucky considering blue skies 2 days, some cloudiness 2 more days but without rain, and only bad thunderstorms on the last day.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ron,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow