Growing up in the Fish-eye / Ultra-wide area?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dpnaiba
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Growing up in the Fish-eye / Ultra-wide area?
3 months ago

Some time ago I purchased the Samyang 8mm Fisheye, inspired by the great landscapes of romanian Sorin Onisor. The lens is definitely addictive, and there was a time when I hardly thought of other lens or took it down from the K5. Some of my pics taken with it, here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?tags=samyang8mmfisheye&sort=relevance&user_id=22659813%40N08

I've even developed some sort of a trademark within the local airsoft community, when I take pictures they always want to see the Fisheye at work - very few photographers around and none with fisheye lenses. And extreme angle work close to the subject always leave an impression.

So I was wondering, could I get something else to further this line? One thing I'm missing with the Samyang is the ability to isolate a subject from the background. Manual focus and extreme FOV means your only practical option is F/8 and get everything in focus. In that respect, maybe the Pentax 10-17 Fisheye would allow me to get more selective about subject isolation?

Or maybe I should go to the ultra-wide route? The new Samyang 10mm, or maybe a Sigma?

Note: I do have other lenses and plan to get other lenses, but for the purpose of this thread I'm just thinking ... fisheye or ultra-wide. What creative changes would such lenses bring?

dpnaiba's gear list:dpnaiba's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow