Sigma 24-105mm F4 or the NEW Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 ?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alwajeeh
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Sigma 24-105mm F4 or the NEW Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 ?
4 months ago

Hello dear fellows,

What do you thin about these two lenses? Both are in the same price range.

The Tamron:
+ Has a wonderful coverage
+ Lighter at 0.5 kg

The sigma:
+ has a decent focal length that covers most of my needs.
+ Many... many reviews suggested that it has a great IQ and very sharp
+ Great for studio (portrait) and weddings according to some reviews. Shooting in studio is something I'm currently interested in.
- Heavy at 900g... cumbersome but not a deal breaker in exchange for a higher image quality

I'm looking for an all purposes lens that offers a great IQ. That wasn't easy before i.e. I bought the Sigma 18-250 back in 2010 and I loved it back then. But now when I look at my old photos, I still like that sigma but I wish if I've invested in a better lens.

According to many reviews, it looks like that the sigma 24-105 has somehow managed to achieve that at the cost of Wight and relatively not-so-long focal length.

Focal length and specially the Wight make the Tamron a more logical choice for me. But I feel inclined to the sigma because of the IQ.

As the IQ is the most important factor to me, I decided to go with the Sigma. Unless if the Tamron offers an IQ that is close to the sigma I might reconsider.

What do you think guys? Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

I use Sony system.. both lenses are yet to be released, so I thought I might ask for your opinions

Alwajeeh's gear list:Alwajeeh's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow