Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Toxxii
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
New DSLR - advice please
1 month ago

Long story short, old faithful Sony a390 is dying, and I have some money set aside to replace it. But do you think I can work out what I want? NOPE.

What I'm after is something fast with crisp shots. The majority of my photography is action shots - horseback sports and wildlife, both of which require line detail and speed. My Sony did a decent enough job, but it just can't quite get what I'm after. I know for a fact that the lens I get will need to be over 200mm, and most shots will be taken at full zoom. I don't really need a close range lens, as my subjects aren't typically close by.

Good photos in low light is preferable as well; I recently attended an under cover event, and the vast majority of photos were worthless due to the amount of noise and just general flatness.

For the body, I've been pretty set on the Canon 70D. My cousin has one, gets incredible shots, and I found it quite comfortable and easy to use for the short time that I did. But, that being said, I don't have much to compare it to. I've only ever used it, my Sony, and a Canon 1000D, so I am very open to suggestions here.

As for lenses, I need a bit more help. The Tamron/Sigma lenses seem like they'll do the job, and I usually opt for the 'cheap alternative', but I want to make sure I have no regrets once the purchasing is done. Heck, I almost went out and bought the 70D and a Tamron lens recently, and neither had image stabilization, so that would have been a mess.

Possibly the most important thing to note is that I do want to keep costs down as much as I can. As it stands right now, $2,000 is my absolute max.

A huge thanks in advance!

Canon EOS 1000D (EOS Rebel XS / Kiss F Digital) Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow