Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?
Help Me Solve this Incredible Mystery!
4 months ago

This is not, strictly speaking, a photography-related question, but it's an optics-related question. Since we're not in the Middle Ages, I don't believe in witchcraft, so there has to be a scientific explanation for this
(Anyone with some knowledge on apartment windows, mirrors, stuff like that, will probably know the answer)

OK, here goes:

I've been long wondering about the "reflections" of this building (see photo). They seemed somehow too vivid to be pure reflections (to put it this way, they looked like the reflections you see in a mirror, not just a simple see-through window glass).

Then today I realized they're not exactly reflections (i.e. from the buildings/sky opposite them), because looking at the ones on the ground floor (green arrows), I was able to see the actual buildings behind it - as if the whole apartment was see-through, without any furnishings in it. Let me add what doesn't show on the photo: When viewing 'live', there is absolutely no sense of depth, it's like viewing on a screen/flat surface. Not to mention, even if we assumed there was nothing in the apartment and no blinds/curtains, etc., if it were simple an exceptional clear view through an apartment, in some angles we should see the ceiling, not the sky of the other side - see blue arrows. (in other words, no, it's not simply a view through an empty apartment; the image behind the building is somehow projected on the window of the front side).

Any guesses at all? I'm getting crazy with this!

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow