Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zakowsky
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
RX100M3 - First impressions and images
4 months ago

After the much appreciated reviews from other people in this forum, I picked up an RX100M3 two days ago, and wanted to give my initial impressions of the camera. I mentioned this before, but I usually shoot with a D3 and pro lens, been at this for a while, and occasionally do some paid work. I wanted a compact camera that has a flat profile, so the RX100 was an obvious candidate. Even though I have all Nikon equipment, the abysmal state of their compact camera sensors these days made me look elsewhere. My biggest concern was the image quality - would I just look at the images and keep thinking how much better they could have been with my pro gear.

On the way back from the store I took a detour through semi-rural Alberta and just grabbed some test shots. I shoot aperture priority, RAW + jpeg, all NR turned off that I can, base ISO, usually at f4 (seems to be the sharpest). Import with Camera Raw 8.5, correct the histogram a bit, and I found they needed just a bit of color noise reduction to smooth out noise in the sky. Saved as a tiff and import into Nikon's Capture NX2 (force of habit) where I level, crop and sharpen if necessary (personally I really don't like sharpening).

So I was quite pleased with the results, the images below are full size in the gallery. Foliage is were I am most critical, and I think it does a pretty good job. You'd probably want to sharpen a bit more or downsize bicubic sharper to get a better final version. I also included 2 of the out of camera jpegs, the truck and the building, which although sharpened a bit more aggressively, I was surprised to see were pretty good.

Handling isn't a big concern of mine; the camera is to take to remote locations so getting there is often a lot harder than taking the picture. At one point I was having a hard time seeing the screen in the very bright sun, and remembered that it had an EVF, which I used and it solved the problem fine. Other than the screen not closing all the way, nothing stood out as irritating.

So overall with what I've seen so far it's great, I'll post again after trying it out some more.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow