Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richj20
Senior MemberPosts: 2,051
Like?
FZ1000 - my initial evaluation
1 month ago

I've had my camera for two days, and here are a few things I've checked so far.

Color

I've always been pleased with colors from Panasonic Cameras, and the FZ1000 doesn't disappoint. They seem very natural to me, which is important for photographing flowers, which I do a lot. I photographed my "color checker" at our local park/playground. The colors are very bright and rich. I use the Standard setting in Photo Styles with Contrast and Saturation 0 (zero). These are Jpegs with no adjustments to color made during editing.

A beautiful stained glass window at a Spanish Mission

Edge Sharpness

Often in a landscape, I'll have flowers or leaves in the foreground. Hopefully, everything is sharp at the edges, as best as can be had. The FZ1000 is not too bad.

DOF

I was concerned about the larger sensor and adequate DOF in certain scenes. I've had to adjust working distance from that with the FZ200, and have been pleased that a nice wide DOF is possible when flowers are in the foreground, for example.

Macro

I wish I were as pleased with DOF in macro, but the larger sensor makes things difficult. I've been spoiled by the smaller sensor of the FZ200. This Lantana flower is not too bad, since there is not a large distance front to back. The flower cluster size is just a bit larger than a quarter coin. I use a Nikon 6T achromatic lens (2.9 dopters) on the F!1000.

This first Spider plant flower doesn't have everything in focus front to back. I manually focused just beyond the first stamen.

The solution is to move farther back, which helps. The image can be cropped, but will limit the print size. This isn't a problem with me, since I print flowers for note cards, about 4"x5".

@400mm

Some reviews have criticized the FZ1000 for being soft @400mm. I don't think it is too bad.

Compared to FZ200 @600mm

I'm looking at the Flag on top of the mountain in the background:

FZ1000 @400mm

FZ200 @600mm

Church steeple - FZ1000 @400mm

Church steeple - FZ200 @600mm

Bird fishing - FZ1000 @400mm

Bird fishing - FZ200 @600mm

I'll have some more photographs later.

- Richard

-- hide signature --

"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow