Sorry, ANOTHER Megapixel Thread (Printing and Megapixels)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JayWhyOkay
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Sorry, ANOTHER Megapixel Thread (Printing and Megapixels)
9 months ago

I'm aware that megapixel counts don't really offer much in terms of digital and screen viewing. Somewhere around the 8MP count is pretty much the ball park at least, or something like that. But that's not really the point of this thread. I'm concerned about the relationship to megapixels and printing.
I've never really gone deep into printing photos, but I heard for small prints that it kind of reflects the digital viewing. However, I wanted to know this: for small prints (maximum size would be something like 4in x 6in), does the same logic apply to small prints? Would there be a good difference between a 12 MP, 16 MP, and 24 MP picture in terms of printing? Or would it just be negligible and be one of those cases where it just increases the resolution? These prints are going to a local scrapbook competition, so quality is a bit more of the concern here (and yes, a good printer would also matter in this case, but don't worry about that).
I want to know what you guys have to say about this. Is 24 megapixels in small prints just unnecessary? Would a higher concentration in pixels actually reduce the print quality? Sorry, but I'm not really the printing guy.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow