Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
A Girard
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,637Gear list
Like?
More images/video - FZ1000 Day 2
4 months ago

These aren't meant to be artsy, just more samples. To make the process more expedient I resized to 1600 pixels wide, although I did leave one or two as is. I'm hoping to line up someone for the weekend to do portrait-ish stuff on the street and report back.

First, love this camera even more than yesterday. Shooting one handed is possible thanks to the lever, which is handy for me in some situations.

Where's the "Minimum Shutter Speed" option you often find in other Panny cameras? (usually in P mode) I can't find it. In certain situations, especially events, I love that feature especially when shooting in variable light situations. Maybe I missed it but I don't see it.

Raw files respond like RAW files should. Point and shoot RAW files, while better for processing than JPGS, don't provide the same range as DSLR images whereas the files from this sensor does and gives you more latitude. While the JPGS with the FZ1000 are very good and gives a shooter lots of parameters, shooting RAW just gives you that much more latitude and in case you missed it, Adobe released a DNG converter today so all is well is RAW land. The JPGS from today were (if memory serves me correctly at +1 sharpness which to me are still too sharp for my tastes and the NR at - 4 (again, personal preference).

Holy moly that focus is amazing Batman, even at the long end and this includes video. It never hunts. Panasonic, you're showing it can be done...are you listening Canon?? (referring to their point and shoots, not dslrs)

Colours and metering are really solid ( I like centre weighted metering). It's almost like they took a page from Sony, which IMO likes to make their colors pop, without looking over the top, something I've always liked with Sony cameras.

The video at 1980x1080 60P video is beautiful and handles low light really well. Again focus is great during recording. The Youtube video I posted under this paragraph doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea. I stopped along the river this morning for a quick record but in its natural state just believe me, it is gorgeous. A few co-workers were stunned on the quality when they saw it play this morning. BTW 4K can be converted with Handbrake (free on both platforms).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdgD4xp19M&list=UUi4jGLX3wYfZzi1hokMi3qA

As for slow mo, again, really not bad, but you can't zoom in and out during recording and have no sound, so you have to pre-focus. Compared to high end video it might disappoint the video freaks. but it is good, just not great. It's a long weekend here so I'll get some video samples to share with you.

The limiter in the camera mic works as it should. I was in the car and gradually cranked up the music (Pat Benatar was playing, remember her?) and the camera levels never allowed the levels to peak or distort. Naturally, like the limiter in audio recording software there are parameters and the Attack that I've seen is set to react quick to fast jumps in volume to ensure you don't get distortion. Again, a quick observation in the car in traffic, not scientific. You can adjust the db levels. I will record with with an acoustic guitar this weekend with an external mic on the camera and compare it with the in camera mic to see the difference and will post the results.

That's all I got for now.

-- hide signature --

my website www.rememberyourjourney.com

A Girard's gear list:A Girard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nik Color Efex Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow