Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Sony Skin Tones With CMOS Cameras, compared to CCD
2 months ago

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the difference?

I am a regular, rostered shooter for people events, mostly shooting under stage lighting.

For various reasons I have been shooting exclusively CCD cameras (initially the Nikon D200, then the Pentax K200D and lastly the Sony a390) for the past 12 months because I liked the different rendering from CCD, especially skin tones.

I have just purchased a Sony a65 after being impressed by the a390's output (although its handling was pretty woeful!) and am somewhat disappointed with the skin tones via RAW (I don't use JPEG output at all) after seeing CCD colours for the last year.  I realise that it is possible that the a65 skin is closer to real life than the CCD output, but the CCD output has a slight warmth to it which I enjoy, anyway, and which certainly seems to look better on-screen.

I have yet to submit my first a65 images, and they won't be rejected, anyway, but I feel that they are not as good.  Nonetheless, they are a whole dimension better than the plastic pink or straw yellow skin I was getting from a Nikon d5100 I briefly owned and tried.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow