The FZ1000 made the decision much harder...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Yannis1976
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
The FZ1000 made the decision much harder...
2 months ago

Hi,

Some of you may have read past emails of me going from FZ150 to G6 but not yet convinced by its advantages.

Having read most of the FZ1000 first impression posts, I feel that some DSLR and more m4/3 users will have a much more difficult decision to take. Whereas until now compact zoom cameras had a clear disadvantage in terms of sensor quality, SONY with the RX10 and now Panasonic with the FZ1000 have considerably narrowed the gap between compact and especially m4/3.

Personally the last 10 years that I made photography one of my hobbies, I never took the exchangeable lenses route because of size, weight and generally too much hassle. Of course there were obvious quality differences between FZ150 (my last FZ) and the DSLR/m4/3 but flexibility of the FZ camera had me hooked.

If I had not taken the G6 3 months ago, I am sure it would very difficult for me to decide whether to take the m4/3 route or the FZ1000. And having actually used the G6, I kinda feel regret that I did not wait a bit...

As I see it now, FZ1000 vs the G6+14-140mm (my kit)...

• has a longer zoom 
  • can do macro much better than the G6 kit (even with the raynox)
  • has more burst modes
  • has most if not all of the tools of the G6 (Wifi, peak etc)

It looses in sensor size and maybe quality, which for me is experienced only in the worse bokeh I have seen from various photos here. High ISO photos are worse but much better than the FZ150 that I came from. Now if only it had a smaller size & weight I would have already sold the G6 for the 1000.

For all the experienced users out there, what is your opinion between these two candidates or generally m4/3 vs FZ1000? Especially if I am not planning to invest to other lenses (maybe only one fast prime or the 12-32), is there any point staying to the m4/3?

So confused...

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow