New photographer, took one of my first landscape pictures, need points on how to improve.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cingen
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
New photographer, took one of my first landscape pictures, need points on how to improve.
4 months ago

Hey all!

This weekend I was on a family holiday and on our walk home from a restaurant I saw a scene I simply had to take a picture of. Unfortunately I only had a matter of seconds to take the picture since I had impatient relatives waiting for me, and also had no tripod or anything with me so in short: The circumstances couldn't be worse, but the scenery was too beautiful to ignore.

I know the picture is plain bad. To me it even looks like it could be taken with a point and shoot instead of the D7100 I used. The point of this post however is to just hear what you guys think REALLY needs improving, what you would've done different, what I did right etc.

Unfortunately I don't have many opportunities to go to areas like this, so I'm stuck here at home analyzing what's wrong in order to learn from my mistakes, in the hopes I won't make them next time.

The picture is a raw imported straight into lightroom, with only a bit of straightening on the horizon done (which is harder than I expected because of all the hills). I didn't do any other editing since I am aiming to learn how to get good source material before venturing into post processing.

I opted for an aperture of 11 to get a pretty wide depth of field. Once I had the depth of field sorted out, I increased the ISO until I had a shutter speed as close as possible to the inverse of my focal lenght. The result still appeared to have a too low shutter speed however, since the picture seems to be pretty blurry.

Also, am I imagining or is the level of noise pretty high for a D7100 with 500 ISO?

The lens was a Nikon !8-140mm.

Thanks alot in advance!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow