Sony Alpha 6000 Replacement for Heavy Canon Full Frames?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Colin Smith1
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
Sony Alpha 6000 Replacement for Heavy Canon Full Frames?
2 months ago

Still loving my Canon 5D III and 6D, coupled with the 100-400, or 500F4l II for wildlife.  Increasingly hating that I am unable to carry them very far with a heavy tripod.  Just returned from Alaska Brooks Camp to shoot large brown bears feeding on salmon at the falls.  Could only make it down the two mile trail once with the 500 and tripod, but I got my best shots of the trip on this one excursion.

I described this scenario to my knowledgeable camera store friend and he suggested the newer Sony A6000.  After some research here is what I like and don't like about the Sony.

- Much lighter and compact

- Reasonably good tracking auto focus

- 11 Frames per second with continuous auto focus.

- Good image quality (better than micro 4/3's) with APS-C sized sensor

Dislikes:

- no weather sealing

- Limited E-mount lens lineup, especially no fixed focal length long telephotos

- Doubtful of the EVF and recovery rate in low light.

- Complicated, at least for me, controls.

- lack of in camera level

Has anyone else switched to this camera or another one and been happy?  I am loathe to abandon my Canon gear, but I am not growing any

younger.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Colin Smith1's gear list:Colin Smith1's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow