Lever-lock vs. Twist-lock tripod legs?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
dherzstein
Senior MemberPosts: 2,737Gear list
Like?
Re: Lever-lock vs. Twist-lock tripod legs?
In reply to Joseph V. Morris, 5 months ago

Joseph V. Morris wrote:

It's pretty much a matter of personal preference but like those who have already responded, I prefer the lever locks.

They are, to me, faster to lock/unlock and the lock is solid.  The con is that, as pointed out, they can sometimes break, especially on less expensive tripods.  In cold or wet conditions (and especially both together), you can easily operate them with gloves if necessary.

The twist locks, again to me, take longer to lock/unlock and are not necessarily fully locked.  (I can't count the number of times I thought I had one of the legs 'locked' only to watch it subsequently get shorter and shorter. )  Sand, dirt, dust and grit (if you ever work in that kind of environment) can also make matters worse.  But they don't break.  Very difficult to lock securely in cold/wet weather -- either bare-handed or with gloves.

My experience is the opposite of yours.

• My lever-lock legs would sometimes slip and occasionally need adjustment (usually when I was in the field without tools).  - Manfrotto/Bogen
  • The levers would occationally snag on something.  I've pinched my fingers with the levers.
  • My twist-lock legs have never slipped and never neded adjustment. - Feisol/Gitzo
  • I feel that either style takes about the same amount of time to setup and take down
-- hide signature --
 dherzstein's gear list:dherzstein's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow