Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wt66
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
New Tamron 70-200
5 months ago

Have a question. I won a brand new Tamron 70-200 from ebay from a real dealer for about $1100. I avoided the sony mainly because the Tamron was half the price (with better IQ according to reviews), both my A99 and A77II have focus limiters in the camera body, and Tamron has a 6 year warranty.

BUT yesterday I was testing the tracking on my dog, who I would call across the yard, and then she would run. I was using center spot and 12 FPS mode on the A77II, and found that maybe the first 2 shots were in focus and the rest wouldn't keep up with her at all. I did this test several times, and each one, once she moved about 5 feet, focus didn't lock at all on her and she was completely unfocused...

Curious about this, I attached my Minolta 300 HS G APO and did the same test, same settings. 90% of the shots were in focus, except when she got too close for the minimum focus distance. Is this normal? Is my lens a dud? Are primes (PRO primes like my Minolta G) better at tracking?

I just can't see how this lens would be good for tracking sports if I couldn't track a dog in controlled conditions. Maybe I should have got the Sony?

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow