Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796
Like?
New Questions About Old Lenses
3 months ago

Just bought used a Panasonic 100mm - 300mm lens and (the original, larger) Panasonic 14mm - 140mm lens (the one that is at f4 wide open, not 3.5).  I will use this on my Panasonic G1 (the original m4/3 camera). Two questions:

1. Although I recently updated the firmware on the G1 I realize that I should probably update the firmware on the lenses as well, though I don't know if there are updates or what the process is for doing this. It would be appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction here.

2. When not handheld, I will sometimes use the 100mm - 300mm lens on a tripod that is not entirely stiff--when using a legacy 300mm prime (and its tripod collar), I do notice some sway in the finder. My question is whether this potential for sway is enough to turn on image stabilization in the 100mm - 300mm lens when used on a tripod.  I had read to turn it off on a tripod, but I wonder about a tripod that is not rock solid.

3. Now that I've mentioned the 300mm legacy prime (an old Minolta MD), I wonder if others have experience comparing the image quality from such lenses with the image quality at the extreme end of the 100mm - 300mm zoom. The legacy lens is huge (can be used only on a tripod) and must be manually focused, but the images are nice.  I wonder whether (hope actually) there will still be a place for the legacy lens (and not only because it's slightly faster than the digital lens at 300mm).

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow