An excursion with the 50mm 1.7

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
guyfawkes
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: An excursion with the 50mm 1.7
In reply to MichaelSolna, 1 month ago

My version is an MD f1.7, and this lens is surprisingly good. In fact, it is one of the better 50mm legacy lenses that I use manually on my Sony Nex 5N and A7 bodies.

On the FF A7, the lens performance very much mimics how it is with my XD-7 film camera, that is, very good centre sharpness even at f1.7, with softer edges that get progressively sharper towards f5.6, and which with f8 are the optimum apertures and where the lens performance is truly excellent, with the centre being on a par with the edges.

With normal views, CA is noticeable by its absence, and it really only shows with tree branches against the sky, what digital camera doesn't suffer here, but even here it has virtually gone by f5.6.

With modern Sony sensors, I believe one can say with reasonable confidence, that using this lens CA shouldn't be any more an issue than it is with modern digital lenses.

guyfawkes's gear list:guyfawkes's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow