Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Albert Ang
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?
Sony RX100m3 review - after 1 month use
2 months ago

Last month I was looking for a compact camera to complement my Canon 6D. I ended up with RX100m3 because it has a relatively large sensor but still remain pocketable. After having this for a month, here are few of my comments:

Positive:
- Quite low noise at ISO1600. 6 years ago APS-C sensor dslr wasn't as clean as this 1" sensor camera. Pretty remarkable.
- Easy to use quick-access menu through Fn button
- Fast aperture and quite sharp lens
- Built in ND filter. It allows me to shoot wide open or at low shutter speed during the day
- Built in HDR - up to +-5EV is quite handy for JPEG shooters
- EVF can be quite handy on a bright day when it's hard to look at the LCD. However, I hate the auto-off setting whenever I hide the EVF

Drawbacks (mainly software related):
- Stupid implementation of selfie. The AF is locked and timer starts as soon as you press the shutter. Why would anyone want to do that? If AF is locked, there's no need for a timer. If there's a timer, it's because people need to adjust their pose or position - then there's no need to lock AF.
- There are 2 controllable wheel: around the lens and at the back. In aperture-priority mode, I can set up the front-wheel to control aperture and back wheel for exposure compensation. But, in manual-exposure mode, I want the back wheel to control shutter speed instead. Unfortunately, Sony software isn't smart enough to switch this automatically.
- Face detection feature is quite bad in finding faces
- Quite slow to zoom from wide to telephoto
- No hot-shoe. This means you won't be able to mount flash, microphone, external recorder, radio trigger etc
- It's not possible to set up minimum shutter speed on this camera

In conclusion, this is a great compact zoom camera despite few software quirks.

Lake Hume, Victoria, Australia

Dynamic range is quite decent. Shooting on a bright day can be quite challenging since the scene becomes too constrasty. In this photo, I can recover some of the blown highlight from the sky and boost shadow with relatively few noise.

Another test on the camera's dynamic range capability.

Wide and fast aperture lens (24mm f1.8) + relatively low noise at high ISO allows me too shoot milky-way

Sony RX100m3 lens is quite sharp.

Flip LCD allows me to shoot at very low angle.

Mt Buffalo, Victoria, Australia

Albert Ang's gear list:Albert Ang's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Albert Ang's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
weak
Studio / still life
awful
= community average
RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow