Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
z2122
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
should I get a 500f4vr?
5 months ago

I am not a professional and so far i do not shoot wildlife or sport.

in an internet forum i found a used 500f4vr G lens for 5000,- euro (new it cost 8.900,- euro here in europe) and i donĀ“t know if i should get it (money is not the main point).

somehow i would like to have that lens to try it out, get experience, maybe do wildlife. but the lens is heavy and big and currently i am waiting for a tamron 150-600.

if i deduct the 1200,- euro that the tamron will cost, i can get the 500f4vr for an upgrade of "only" 3.800,- euros.  somehow this sound cheap for an 500f4vr. but the lens is heavy and big. on the other side the lens will not loose the value  (it is like brand new, without any signs of usage - used by an amateur). oh yes and my lens-fever also somehow want that piece, but this is more emotional. if i add a 1.4 TC to that monster i will have a nice 700 f5.6 on FF (unbelievable 700mm of excellent nikon lens)

my experience in the past showed me, that before buying a lens i have no idea what to do with that. e.g. before getting a 17-35 f2.8 I was convinced that I do not need that. then i got a got deal on a used 17-35 from an amateur and made some landscape shots with the 17mm and now i will never sell that lens, maybe get another one, if i loose it.

How do you think is a 500f4vr?  is it useable without tripod (only monopod or handheld?) for what are you using that lens?

please share your experience...

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow