Anyone having this problem with the Sony A7? black area of image.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone having this problem with the Sony A7? black area of image.
In reply to Brian_Smith, 5 months ago

Brian_Smith wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

But that still doesn't make any sense. A manual lens isn't a lens at all as far as the body is concerned - it's just a spot of light hitting the sensor.

What about if the OP removes the lens and just shoots without a lens at the same ISO and shutter speed, with EFCS on? My bet is that he's still going to see that shadow.

Page 266 of the Sony A7 User Help Guide notes:

"When a lens made by another manufacturer (including a Minolta/Konica-Minolta lens) is used, set this item to [Off]. If you set this function to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven."

Granted, they could explain "brightness will be uneven" a bit better - but it refers to edge darkening as shown in the example.

The same page also notes:

"When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this function to [Off]."

I don't see ghosting in his example, but either way the solution is the same. Turn off EFC.

I've only heard of EFC incompatibility mentioned with telephoto legacy lenses - but it may not be limited to long glass.

Yes. I had already posted more or less that same first line from the NEX-7 manual. But, as I mentioned a couple of months ago in the other thread that was linked, I don't think they are talking about the shutter curtain causing the issue - I think they are saying that the camera won't always get the aperture set to the selected value before starting the exposure. If the iris is closing while the shutter is firing, that will result in "uneven" brightness.

My theory is that some of these cameras have a bit of error in the synch between their physical and electronic shutters that becomes noticeable at high shutter speeds. I am not that fond of this theory, but it's the only thing I can think of that explains this behavior.

If you have another theory, I would be very interested to hear it.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); A3000 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow