Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
timb5881
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Explain VR to me
5 months ago

I understand the mechanics behind both optical and sensor based VR.   What I am wondering is on larger telephoto lenses, why have it if you should many use a tripod?   From what I have read, most people recommend turning VR of when a tripod is used.  Now I know people get excited about hand holding really long lenses, but in reality at about 300mm (maybe 200mm on DX), things start getting dicey at best hand holding these monsters.   I know from my own experience with my trusty old 500mm Nikkor mirror lens, that sharp hand held pictures are possible, in this case no VR.   I also have read that VR should not be used at shutter speeds above 1/200 of a second.   Pros like Moose Peterson use the really long lenses on a tripod when they can, and almost all sports photographers are split on using one (watch the pro football games and observer the side line photographers, some with and some with out tripods).  Another question is while I understand VR is optimized for a specific lens and range, but with TC-14,17 and 20 teleconverters, will VR still work?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow