Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
A Girard
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,631Gear list
Like?
Random thoughts after a short time with FZ1000
5 months ago

Picked up the camera after work on a day in Ottawa where it's mostly been raining all day, however I got lucky with 20 minutes of sun on the way home so this is all I got. Going to shoot the next couple of days and get down and dirty with it.

Images BTW were OOC with NR turned off and sharpening +2 in Standard. Didn't know what I should use at this point, so I guessed. With the miserable weather what y

What stood out for me was the focus...very very quick and accurate. EVF, nice, clear.

Zoom with lens barrel definitely meant for video and reminds me of the old Canon Powershot Pro1 fly-by-wire, which I detested even after using that camera for a month. I hate the mushy response so if you're expecting to zoom in and out like you did with the FZ50, forget about it. I think it takes about four turns to get from wide to telephoto. Having said that the lever does a good job, although I had looked forward to use it for Exp. Comp. instead since I didn't like using the rear dial. However, the rear dial is what I hoped it would be, in that you won't accidentally turn your setting brushing against it like I've done with other cameras.

Some won't like the response as it's "clickety" instead of a smooth brush, which some had said would be an issue adjusting exp comp during video, but since you're using the lens barrel to zoom, perhaps using the lever might be an option?

Video a la 4K is amazing but the next lower resolutions are still very good, but for those who thought you were going to get the same quality with Slo-motion, not so much. Slo mo is usable, fun, but soft when compared to the rest of the output this camera can do. Keep in mind, I haven't turned this camera inside out, including using filters etc.. so this is just a first impression. I still want to see how the audio sounds, how well the limiter works with high levels etc.. I know some of the things I've said have likely been said elsewhere, but if you're like me and you're looking forward to a camera, you could read about this stuff all night.

I haven't worked with RAW yet but if the JPGS are this good, then processing my RAW files will produce really sweet results. I like processing, I like using RAW and doing that activity with a nice "beverage" is something I'm looking forward to do as I start my early weekend this Friday.

The look of the camera is FZ20ish with that big barrel at the front end. Feels great in my hands, but that's a personal preference. Camera strap better suited for a TZ camera, but I don't use them anyways, preferring a Blackrapid strap.

The guitar shot btw was shot with a Olympus FL50 I got on Kijiji, the only flash shot in this post. I didn't have to go into the menus for the camera to recognize it as it worked right away. I uploaded the guitar shot two different ways to see which one displayed more easily as I never used DPR galleries. Not that anyone here is waiting for my impressions, but I plan to have more information and video this weekend.

-- hide signature --

my website www.rememberyourjourney.com

A Girard's gear list:A Girard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nik Color Efex Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow