Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vernon Church
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
X-T1 Impression from an x100s user
3 months ago

Popped into Best Buy today and was able to play with an X-T1 for about 15 minutes. Thought some observations might be useful to anyone considering this camera, as I was.

For context, I've been using digicams since the beginning (Canon Elph, 2 Canon G Series cameras, Canon Sx series with underwater housing, Nikon D70, Nikon D40, Nikon D5100, Panny M4/3s, X100 and X100s, lenses, lenses and more lenses). I don't consider myself much more than an interested amateur, but I do know the equipment fairly well.

I LOVE my X100s, and although the autofocus speed is significantly better then the X100, I still find it sometimes unreliable and certainly not on par with other more mature systems like DSLRs and M4/3s. I was looking at the X-T1, likely with a 23 or 27mm pancake lens as a possible replacement. I used to have a number of lens with my other systems, but found I largely shot at 35, so I'm not really in need of an ILC system, plus my wife occasionally lets me pry my old Nikon away from her.

AF Speed

The X-T1 is most definitely better than the x100s in terms of AF locking and accuracy, which is odd to me as I understand they have the same sensor (Anyone know why?). The unit I played with had the 18-55 kit lens attached and almost never had trouble locking. It also seemed, very objectively, about 30-50% faster at doing so than the x100s. As an aside, there was an Oly OM-D nearby that consistently outperformed the X-T1 on both fronts and felt about as fast as a DSLR.

Viewfinder

Um, it is, as the kids say, like WOW! I actually, for about a minute, forgot there was no optical viewfinder on the X-T1. The refresh rate and color rendering is that good! Amazing. Significantly improved over the x100s.

Build Quality

The X-T1 is very small and very solid in the hand, but not in anyway as beautiful a piece of machinery as the X100--just one man's opinion. I also found many of the controls a bit cumbersome to change-somehow "tight"--while my x100s is easy to manipulate.

Lasting Impression

If you're in love with Fuji image quality--and who would't be--and need a set of lenses, the X-T1 will give you great images and good, but not SLR, performance. I feel like Fuji is one more product cycle away from delivering that and, as Olympus has shown, it IS possible. If, like me. a single lens is all you need, I would hang on for one or two more fixed lens X series releases before upgrading or buying. You'll hopefully get the speed you've gotten used to with other systems in a package you will fall in love with.

Hope this is useful,

-- hide signature --

-Vernon

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow