Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
bford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489
Like?
Re: Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?
In reply to Mark B., 5 months ago

Mark B. wrote:

star shooter wrote:

While it's sad to see the demise of film, chemicals and darkroom work, I wonder how many could master film as good as they do now with digital. Not many I reckon.

I started out in film, but once digital came out I abandoned my thoughts of putting in a b/w darkroom in my basement. All that space, expense, and hassle of dealing with chemicals vs a desktop computer? It was an easy choice.

Digital has in many ways, allowed many more to ge into the art but it has also made us lazy too, in the way we expect an instant picture and if we don't like we take another.

There's nothing lazy about taking advantage of the instant feedback and correcting the exposure, composition, or focus while I'm right there on the spot. Sure beats waiting for the film processing only to find out I FUBAR'd something. I still process every shot since I shoot raw, but only to enhance and not to fix mistakes - most of the time That's just taking a cheap shot saying those that prefer digital are "lazy".

But let's roll back to a time when you had no idea if the image was good until the film was developed and fix then inspected under the enlarger. Back then those who could take on a job and produce results and when a prof. photog. was in great demand, are all gone.

I know pros who are doing very well.

In a world that expects instant results, digital photography has unfortunately, created a race of mind-sets that after a few takes, they go about calling themselves 'prof. photographers' How pathetic.

Yes, that happens but I believe that's the exception rather than the rule.

Look how the wedding photog. industry has suffered from el cheapo digital shutterbugs. More and more of the profession is being lost to those who think because they have a wiz bang setup, they're God's gift to the art. How pathetic.

You can also thank couples that don't value quality. If snapshots are good enough for them, that's their problem. Couples that want quality are still paying for it, and as mentioned I know local photographers still getting work.

Mark

It's up to the photographer, the business owner,  to sell the value of their better product.

I think also a lot of the so-called professional wedding photographers of the past sucked because they were stuck in regimented ways of producing photographs, typically with the same types of lame posing and compositions followed up by ridiculous pricing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow