You do not understand f-stop part II

Started Jul 28, 2014 | Discussions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,986
Re: Liars

TSeiler wrote:

I read a book about the psychology of lying many years ago and it has helped me out quite a bit. The bottom line in the book is that when a person is accused of lying he will ALWAYS respond the same way. He will start shouting to repeat his lies and he will start calling the person who disagrees with him names.

So it is obvious to me that dtmateojr knows he is wrong and has been caught, but just refuses to admit it so he presses on shouting and name calling.

I've found that most people with whom I disagree aren't malicious, they just have different points of view, skills, knowledge, and priorities. So, when I can't resolve matters through discussion, as has been the case with most of us collectively in this and the preceding thread, I look for alternate explanations. A possible one in this instance, also rooted in psychology, may be the Dunning–Kruger effect. I won't try to explain it in detail here; I suggest you start with the Wikipedia article  if it is unfamiliar to you.

Someone who possesses out-sized self-confidence in relation to knowledge and analytic ability may make false statements with great assurance. Those statements aren't lies if believed; a lie requires intent. Such a person may become frustrated when those around him don't agree with what, to him, is a self-evident position. The frustration may be expressed in repetition and name-calling.

If that's what's going on, then derision and laughter, while entirely understandable, are inappropriate responses; compassion is more fitting.

OTOH, he could be a troll. If that's the case, he's a wildly successful one.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cpw
cpw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow