Best lens set for wedding (and general portraits) photography

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,441Gear list
Like?
Re: Best lens set for wedding (and general portraits) photography
In reply to iKokomo, 5 months ago

iKokomo wrote:

I would love (my wife and I) to start a little photography business and we will be doing 2 of our good friend's wedding for very cheap to build and learn (though I have done a few SR Portraits and the like) and my question is:

What are good lens to start off with (cheaper, yet still good non-Nikon lens) for portrait and weddings (either to buy or rent)? Eventually we may replace them with Nikon ones though:)

I just did pick up a refeb Nikon 50mm f/1.8d for under a hundred so I am very happy and can't wait to use!!

An essential wedding lens, would be a 24-105-120 f4. Sigma makes a 24-105  for 899.99 US, and Nikon makes the 24-120 f4 for 1300 US. Both are comparable in terms of image quality. The Sigma has the better edges and corners; the Nikon the better center. I have the Nikon, but have been hearing and reading very good things about the Sigma. I find that I use the 24-120 70% of the time for events, and 90% of the time where I need a flash (indoor receptions, parties). You may want to rent one to see if this fits your needs.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow