Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,857Gear list
Like?
Cloud Storage ...
2 months ago

... I think this is probably the bane of all photographers in the modern era.

I have images dating back to 1979 (film scans) and digital images dating from 2001.

The issue is that if I simply look at my 'base' images and look at my edited images, then I am utilising a little less than 1.5 TB of disk space.

As of today, 1.47 TB and some 273,740 images. I currently have this backed up across three PC's and four x 3 TB HDD's.

At a minimum, I always keep four copies of everything but it is becoming a little ridiculous trying to preserve the integrity of all the images.

In the past twelve years, I have had some 25 HDD's fail. I still have them all. Why ? I have tens of thousands of client images and at least some 200,000 personal images and as some HDD's can be recovered I never send for warranty claim. Must be a real bonus for HDD manufacturers when folk don't send HDD's for warranty replacement.

Mind you, I have successfully recovered several HDD's.

These HDD failures range from 250 GB to 3 TB HDD's. The most disappointing thing is that in the past 18 months I have had 4 x 3 TB's fail, and two of those on the same day. At about USD 150.00 per HDD this soon adds up (price is based on where I live). 25 x 150 = $ 3,750

No names on the HDD manufacturer but suffice to say that they were all the same, and I have always bought the same.

And, yes, I have UPS's installed and also have synchronous backup software installed and also have the latest antivirus, malware, etc., packages installed.

So, my question is, where can I get reasonably priced cloud storage, of about 2 TB, and which is also from a reputable vendor ?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow