After two years, what you think of your OM-D E-M5 ?

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
bencr
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: After two years, what you think of your OM-D E-M5 ?
In reply to kirthgersen25, 4 months ago

I still enjoy it and haven't seen anything tempting enough to make me upgrade.  After lugging around a Canon DSLR and lenses the size and weight is a revelation.  I take my EM-5 out with me much more often than I ever took my DSLR.  The image quality is pretty good - better than my old APS-C cameras, but I could always use more DR and a 1 stop increase in high ISO performance wouldn't hurt.  But the image quality vs weight/size equation still means I prefer the EM-5.

Cons

I've lost the eyecup a couple of times, and the autofocus in video mode is terrible (I rarely use video anyway).  For me it also absolutely needs the grip - otherwise it is a pain to hold.  When it first came out the smallest autofocus target area was too large and I found the camera backfocused frequently.  With the latest firmware the small box is great for getting focus exactly where I want it - it should have been that way on release.  I also which they would release a firmware fix to allow electronic first curtain shutter to reduce shutter shock - I have the 1/8th second anti shock setting pretty much permanently set and it annoyingly reduces responsiveness but works well for getting sharper pictures.

bencr's gear list:bencr's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow