Help me decide on a macro for my Fuji X-E1

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,311Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me decide on a macro for my Fuji X-E1
In reply to Big Swifty, 5 months ago

Your information about those nearly antique Vivitar and Kiron macros is essentially correct.  I owned the Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro for over over 25 years,  used with Minolta film cameras, and it is the sharpest macro I have ever used, bar none, including my 55 f2.8 Micro Nikkor.  At the time it was reviewed by now-defunct Modern Photography magazine, ca. 1980, its center lines/mm resolution was rated at 110+, exceeding the maximum resolving capacity of the chart, the sharpest macro ever tested.   As you note, it was decidedly better than the 90 mm f2.8 Vivtar and it is no heavier than the 105 Kiron.   Yes, you need the adaptor to go from 1:2 to 1:1 but I would consider using the lens without adaptor, if that bothers you, and cropping down - the lens is that good.

Fuji probably makes a prime macro too by now and, usually, I prefer original equipment to adaptations.  However, I am not familiar with the current Fuji system.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow