Invest in square filters or circular filters?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shutterbug013
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Invest in square filters or circular filters?
5 months ago

Hi All. I am looking to invest in a better filter system. I am looking at a polarizer, solid NDs and probably ND grads. The problem is whether to invest in circular filters or slot in filters. Circular filters are cheaper in the short term but can get very expensive if you have several filters in several filter sizes. One the other hand square filters, particularly Lee filters are rather expensive to get initially but are cheaper in the long run.

The only thing that I dont like about the Lee filters except the initial price to get a basic kit of 1 ND, 1 CPL and 1 GND plus all the adapters etc that go with it. But I like how they last and via the adapter ring can be used on any lens without a massive investment everytime (adapter rings are about $40)

On the other hand circular filters can do most of what i want (CPL & ND) for a lot less (about $650) BUT do not have grad NDs and get very expensive if you want filters for all you filter thread sizes. I do know that step ring are available but i am not a fan of them as they can cause vignette and lens hoods cannot be used with them.

So is it worth getting the Lee system despite the high initial cost or better to get the circular filters as a "temporary" setup until i can comfortably afford a Lee system and eventually pay more but over a longer period of time.

Thanks

Shutterbug013

P.S

It is only Lee filters that i am looking at. Cokin and other are NOT been considered!

Shutterbug013's gear list:Shutterbug013's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow