Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gediminas 8
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?
How to deal with X-E1 misfocusing?
5 months ago

Despite the slowish AF, I am generally happy with my X-E1 coupled with the 18-55.

But already on two occasions it has irritated me by focusing not on the centrally-placed subject but on the background. In fact this may have happened more than twice (I've had the camera since December 2012) but on those two occasions the misfocus ruined once-in-a-lifetime shots.

Because they contain people close to me, I will not post the photos here, but both were taken in churches during important ceremonies - or rather right after their end, when the subjects were candidly kissing or otherwise had unimitable expressions.

In both cases the camera was set to AF, AutoISO, aperture priority and, I think, the lens as wide open as possible, thus at f/2.8 or 3.2 depending on the FL. I don't have the camera near me now but I think focus mode was set to Single (what's the real-life difference between S and Continuous by the way?). The human subjects took up at least half of the frame and were centered. And in both cases the camera decided to focus on the lavishly ornamented church walls behind the subjects! I thought that was because the background had more detail than the subjects - possibly, but it's not like the people were totally plain or transparent.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Obviously MF might have helped, but as the subjects were moving around and the shots were grabbed spontaneously it would have been difficult to predict distance to the subject for prefocusing.

Thanks.

Gediminas 8's gear list:Gediminas 8's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow